Avery Dennison is actively looking for someone to join their diverse team of talents. As a Junior IP Counsel, you will be providing global intellectual property (“IP”) services to Avery Dennison, including IP strategy, domestic and international IP procurement, enforcement, and clearance, business counseling, and transactional support. The position reports to the Global VP and Associate General Counsel, IP, and works closely with the company’s technology and innovation leadership teams, as well as Regional Directors of R&D, Marketing, and Procurement. This full-time, permanent position will be based in Mentor, Ohio, USA.
To be successful in your role of Junior IP Counsel, we need you to deliver on these responsibilities:
- Deliver highly skilled patent procurement services. Oversee the drafting and filing patent applications (domestic, foreign and PCT applications), liaising with inventors, internal IP lawyers, agents, staff, and foreign counsel to obtain the information needed to prepare and successfully prosecute patent applications.
- Support global IP strategy that targets growth in key market segments and accelerates new product innovations in each key market around the world.
- Provide a full spectrum of intellectual property legal services including: client counseling; technology development and licensing contracts; trade secret protection, and patent and trademark protection, surveillance, enforcement, licensing, and litigation.
- Conduct patent novelty, validity and right to market studies, patent and information searches, and analyzing and summarizing search results.
- Provide strategic guidance as a business partner to R&D, Marketing, and Procurement by integrating legal advice with critical business strategies for product development, joint development efforts, and licensing matters.
- Provide IP related advice for M&A assessments and negotiations, joint ventures, and start-up investments.
- Strong collaboration skills to engage and partner with colleagues in the global law department and global client teams.
- Demonstrated strength at collaboration in matrix organizations, especially in a global organization and across functions.
- Superior understanding of, and ability to take and manage, risk.
- Strong business acumen, and ability to connect the law and legal strategies to business goals in way that guides clients to successful outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to lead.
Education and Credentials:
- A technical degree is required, preferably in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science or Engineering, particularly polymer chemistry.
- A law degree with excellent credentials, registration with the USPTO, and a member of the Bar in good standing is also required.
- At least 5 years of patent law experience, including strong business counseling and strategy, IP-related transactions, patent drafting and prosecution, freedom to operate opinions, and litigation.
- Experienced with various types of transactions (M&A, JV, licensing, JDA, partnering agreements, negotiation experience with universities).
- Proven ability to deal effectively with complex legal issues that have both legal and business ramifications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience of collaboration and successfully engaging with global teams.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and build relationships at a distance.
- Demonstrated excellence in client counseling.
- Highly experienced in technology relevant to Avery Dennison’s products, particularly polymers and adhesives.
- A strong working knowledge of and experience with PCT, European patent practice, and China patent practice is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with technologies relating to Avery Dennison’s products and markets is strongly preferred.
- Litigation experience is a significant plus.
- Experience with other IP such as trademarks and copyrights is useful.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or jacqueline.williams@
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resumes.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Avery Dennison:
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 32,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020 were $7.0 billion.
JobOrtunities Help Wanted
IPWatchdog.com has been a trusted resource on intellectual property for tens of millions of unique visitors for nearly 2 decades. Recognized as one of the leading sources for news, information, analysis and commentary in the patent and innovation industries, IPWatchdog.com has become the largest online intellectual property publication in the world. In 2020 IPWatchdog brought in 3,632,198 users, which accounted for 4,119,229 sessions and 7,497,849 pageviews.
By posting your position in the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Help Wanted Section, your job post will likely be seen by more IP professionals than any other job posting website. So there is no better central place than here to let the IP community know that you have a job opening.
The position will be posted as a blog post, which means it will initially appear on our homepage among the other most recent blog posts, it will be sent out to our daily e-mail newsletter the morning after it publishes on IPWatchdog, and it will be shared on our social media profiles.
Posting on our JobOrtunities™ Help Wanted Job Board is only $199 per post for a 60-day duration and is posted to a very target specific audience verses $395 per post on Monster.com to a non-specific audience.